Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Debunking Stereotypes: The Weak Female

There are quite a few stereotypes out there these days, but one that infuriates The Domina the most is that women are inherently weak and should not strain or otherwise exert themselves (other than to cook and clean, naturally). I have encountered this quite often lately--I will be asked to help lift a table, comply, only to have another man come running in yelling that one should not ask a woman to help with that sort of task.

I am not trying to say that I personally could carry 200lbs all by myself, however, I'm sure there are some women out there that could (cheers, ladies!). I am fully capable of carrying any manner of furniture, building material, etc. particularly when helping out with someone else. I am sick to death of men supposing that just because of a chromosome, we are inherently unable to use our muscles.

What is worse though, are the women out there who use this stereotype to their advantage. For example, the girl you have all seen, batting her eyes are a man, sighing dramatically, and saying, things like "oh, I just can't carry these books, would you mind terribly? You look so strong." Ladies, if your man, or woman, would like to carry that bag of groceries, or that stack of books, that is lovely of them to offer if it is an offer out of the kindness of their hearts, but please do not reinforce the stereotype! Remember, our feminine wiles should only be used for the good of our gender, not the degradation of it.

No comments: